1. Sullivan, K.P.*, A. Werner*, K.J. Ramirez*, L.D. Ellis*, J. Bussard, B. Black, D. Brandner, F. Bratti, B. Buss, X. Dong, S. Haugen, M. Ingraham, M. Konev, W. Michener, J. Miscall, I. Pardo, S. Woodworth, A. Guss, Y. Roman-Leshkov, S. Stahl, G.T. Beckham. (2022) “Mixed plastics waste valorization via tandem chemical oxidation and biological funneling.” Science, 378, 207-211. [Link] *denotes equal contribution
2. Ellis*, L.D., N.A. Rorrer*, K.P. Sullivan*, M. Otto, J.E. McGeehan, Y. Román-Leshkov. N. Wierckx, G.T. Beckham. (2021) “Chemical and biological catalysis for plastics upcycling.” Nature Catalysis, 4, 539-556. [Link] *denotes equal contribution
3. Ellis, L.D., S.V. Orski, A.G. Norman, G. K.L. Beers, Y. Román-Leshkov, G.T. Beckham. (2021) “Tandem heterogeneous catalysis for polyethylene depolymerization via an olefin intermediate process.” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9, 623-628. [Link]
4. Ellis, L.D., S. Parker, J. Hu, H. Funke, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin. (2020) “Tuning gas adsorption selectivity and diffusion rates in zeolite 5A with phosphonic acid monolayers.” Cell Reports Physical Sciences, 1: 100036. [Link]
5. Ellis, L.D. & G.T. Beckham. (2019) “Reaction: Proteins from chemocatalysis; It’s what’s for dinner.” Chem, 5, 1353-1354. [Link]
6. Ballesteros-Soberanas, J., L.D. Ellis, J.W. Medlin. (2019) “Effects of phosphonic acid monolayers on the dehydration mechanism of aliphatic alcohols on TiO2.” ACS Catalysis, 9: 7808-7816. [Link]
7. Ellis, L.D., D.K. Schwartz, J.W. Medlin. (2019) “Effects of metal oxide surface doping with phosphonic acid monolayers on alcohol dehydration activity.” Applied Catalysis A: General, 571: 102-106. [Link]
8. Coan, P.D., L.D. Ellis, D.K. Schwartz, J.W. Medlin. (2018) “Enhancing cooperativity in bifunctional acid-Pd catalysis with carboxylic acid-functionalized organic monolayers.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Part C, 12: 6637-6647. [Link]
9. Zhang, J., L.D. Ellis, B. Wang, M. Dzara, C. Sievers, S. Pylypenko, E. Nikolla, J.W. Medlin. (2018) “Control of interfacial acid-metal catalysis with organiz monolayers.” Nature Catalysis, 1: 2520-1158. [Link]
10. Ellis, L.D., R.M. Trottier, C.B. Musgrave, D.K. Schwartz, J.W. Medlin. (2017) “Controlling the surface reactivity of titania via electronic tuning of self-assembled monolayers.” ACS Catalysis, 7: 8351-8357. [Link]
11. Ellis, L.D., S. Pylypenko, S.R. Ayotte, D.K. Schwartz, J.W. Medlin. (2016) “Trimethylsilyl-functionalized alumina exhibits increased activity for 1,2-propanediol dehydration.” Catalysis Science & Technology, 6: 5721-5728. [Link]
12. Gould, T.D., M.M. Montemore, A.M. Lubers, L.D. Ellis, A.W. Weimer, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin. (2015) “Enhanced dry reforming of methane on Ni and Ni-Pt catalysts synthesized by atomic layer deposition.” Applied Catalysis A: General, 492: 107-116. [Link]
13. Holwerda, E.K., L.D. Ellis, L.R. Lynd. (2013) “Development and evaluation of methods to infer biosynthesis and substrate consumption in cultures of cellulolytic microorganisms.” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110: 2380-2388. [Link]
14. Spender, J., A.L. Demers, X. Xie, A.E. Cline, M.A. Earle, L.D. Ellis, D.J. Neivandt. (2012) “Method for production of polymer and carbon nanofibers from water-soluble polymers.” Nano Letters, 12: 3857-3860. [Link]
15. Ellis, L.D., E.K. Holwerda, S.Rogers, D.Hogsett, X.Shao, L.R. Lynd. (2012) “Closing the carbon balance for fermentations by Clostridium thermocellum (ATCC 27405).” Bioresource Technology, 103: 293-299. [Link]
16. Wark, M., B. Kalanyan, L.D. Ellis, J. Fick, L. Connell, D. Neivandt, and J.F. Vetelino. (2007) “A lateral field excited acoustic wave sensor for the detection of saxitoxin in water.” Proc. IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 28:1217–1220. [Link]
1. Beckham, G.T., L.D. Ellis, K.P. Sullivan, A. Werner. (2022) “Upcycling Mixed Waste Plastic Through Chemical Depolymerization and Biological Funneling.” U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 63/126,153. [Link]
2. Ellis, L.D. & G.T. Beckham. (2022) “Catalysts and methods for depolymerizing plastics.” U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 63/050,209. [Link]
3. Falconer, J.L., J.W. Medlin, L.D. Ellis, H.H. Funke, S. Parker. (2019) “Functionalization of zeolites.” U.S. Patent Application 16/389910. [Link]
4. Neivandt, D.J., J. Spender, X. Xie, and L.D. Ellis. (2010) “Carbon nano-structures from preformed polymers.” Patent number US 2011/0091711 A1. [Link]
Presentations (presenting author underlined, beginning from end of 2021)
Hannah Frankovic, Dimitri Gatzios, Nan-Chieh Chiu, Kyriakos Stylianou, Lucas D. Ellis (poster). "Impact of Synthesis Technique and Support Effects for Heterogeneous Olefin Metathesis Catalysts for Enhanced Propene Metathesis or Waste Plastic Upcycling." May 2023. Celebrating Undergraduate Excellence (CUE), Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
Jose Naranjo Mendez, Andrew Tran, Selena Moore, and Lucas D. Ellis (poster). "Impact of additives in the chemical recycling of plastic waste using heterogeneous tandem dehydrogenation and olefin metathesis." May 2023. Celebrating Undergraduate Excellence (CUE), Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
Andrew Tran, Jose Naranjo Mendez, Selena Moore, and Lucas D. Ellis (poster). "Characterization of Additives in Chemical Recycling of Plastic Waste through Tandem Dehydrogenation and Olefin Metathesis using Heterogeneous Catalysis." May 2023. Celebrating Undergraduate Excellence (CUE), Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
Lucas D. Ellis (invited, oral). “Tandem Catalysis for Plastics Upcycling.” February 2023. Academy of Lifelong Learning, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
Lucas D. Ellis (poster). “Olefin-Intermediate Process: A Low-Temperature Means to Depolymerize Waste Plastics.” November 2022. AiChE Annual Conference – Sustainability and Sustainable Biorefineries, Phoenix, AZ.
Lucas D. Ellis (poster). “Experiential Learning in Chemical Engineering – From Introduction to Engineering to Senior Laboratory.” July 2022. ASEE/AiChE Chemical Engineering Summer School, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.
Lucas D. Ellis (poster). “Olefin-Intermediate Process: A Low-Temperature Means to Depolymerize Waste Plastics.” June 2022. Gordon Research Conference – Catalysis, New London, NH.
Lucas D. Ellis (invited, oral). “Catalyst design strategies to enhance turn-over frequency, selectivity, and create novel reaction pathways for waste plastic upcycling.” March 2022. Materials Science School Seminar, Oregon State University.
Lucas D. Ellis (invited, oral). “Catalyst design strategies to enhance turn-over frequency, selectivity, and create novel reaction pathways for waste plastic upcycling.” November 2021. Nano-Engineered Systems (NanoES)/National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI) Joint Seminar, Oregon State University/University of Washington.